Well, as my luck would have it the extreme cramping in my calves and Achilles over the weekend in Disneyland turned into Shin Splints yesterday when I went for my run. I started out and it was like almost immediately I got sharp pain running up the front of my legs. I couldn't even touch them because it was so bad. I had no idea what was going on at the time. I forced myself to walk the 2 miles with the extreme pain because I just could not stand to let the pain win. (Talk about the German stubbornness in me) My sister-in-law, Amy, said she thought it was Shin Splints and that I should research it on-line. So, sure enough we discovered that one of the causes of Shin Splints is from calf muscles being too tight. The only thing you can do for them is rest and STREEETTTTCCCCHHHH!!!
Will and I had a hart-to-hart last night with all the who-rah of my legs and decided that I have, as usual, bitten off more than I can chew. Pushing myself like I have with the extra weight I have gained from the depression is too much and causing more injury. So, I am going to do the 10k on Feb 20th, even if it means I have to walk it because of the Shin Splints, but then I will focus on getting the weight off so that it is not causing strain on my body. So, in order to do that we have ordered for me an Elliptical machine from NordicTrack. Should be here in 7-10 days... hopefully the Splints will have 'split' by then. :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment